Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Why Am I Always in Such a Hurry?



In the morning I find myself rushing to get my son ready for school, make him a good hot breakfast, all while unloading the dishwasher, making coffee for my better half, espresso for me, starting a load of laundry, doling out vitamins for everyone (yes, even the dog), feeding the dog, and finally getting myself dressed and ready to face the day. I feel certain this isn't just my day, but a typical day for many of us. I'm also fairly sure, that their are alot more of you with MORE morning chores than me...I'm not complaining, just wondering why do we feel the innate need to accomplish so much everyday and as quickly as possible?

Once I return home from taking the kiddo to school, it's not like my day slows down; quite the opposite. In addition to working from home on my "real job" with an IT consulting company; I also have the housework jobs to complete and then there is the "side" companies we have online that require attention everyday.

I'm busy, you're busy, I get it, I'm glad for it; but what if in all the hustle and bustle of the day, I'm missing the important things? I think I am.

Did I notice my son's pants are getting too short, yes...but I forgot to see how he is growing into such a fine young man.

Did I see that our yard needs mowing, yes...but I forgot to look at all the beautiful flowers that God placed in my backyard without my permission (dandelions).

Did I grimace when I had to pick up all the wet clothes around the pool this morning, yes...but I forgot that we had a great time in the pool after Dad jumped in with our son, both fully clothed.

I think we all forget, or at least I do, the important things in our day, Family, God and Laughter.

I encourage us all to stop for just a bit, take a deep breathe, stop racing the clock to complete the mundane, unimportant tasks and just enjoy what we have. Enjoy your children, love your family and praise our Lord and Saviour for all he has provided for us. Maybe that will take us through the day with a happier, lighter heart...now back to work, but with a smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment