Monday, May 23, 2011

My Zebra Friend- an Example of Better DNA

HEADS UP *Put on your "far reaching train of thought" cap for this one, but somehow, I made a connection.

I was driving past our Noah's Ark farm this weekend and noticed for the second time, the donkeys were being mean to Alfred, the zebra. If you read earlier posts' you know I'm not lying about our neighbor having an ark of animals; Alfred is the zebra.

It got me to thinking about our society being mean or showing disdain for people that are different from themselves. I wonder why "we" (again as a society, I'm sure you aren't like this) tend to hone in on peoples differences and showcase to the world how much better "we" are?

Is it our genetic DNA that wants to take over as Survival of the Fittest, Only the Strongest Survive? Surely within that same DNA, we have Nurture the Weak, Take Care of Those in Need gene too; don't we? Doesn't God tell us the Meek Shall Inherit the Earth?

I've seen our Superiority over Inferiority many times, and I unfortunately feel certain, I've been in that "Superior" group. What in the world is wrong with me! I'm not any better than anyone else on this planet, I know there's an abundance of better people than me, so what makes us act in such ways?

Maybe it's our own insecurities, our own lack of self-confidence and worth that allows us to belittle those less fortunate, those people smaller, weaker and at times more simple than us.

I wonder, what did Alfred do this weekend that made the two other donkeys bite and kick him? Two against one, never a fair play in any book. I watched as Alfred, simply laid down and after a minute or so, the donkeys tired and walked away. We're they jealous of Alfred's beautiful stripes, the fact he was NOT monochromatic or we're they just picking on the weak? I'm not sure, but I hope that I can change my outlook on life and not be a "jack-ass".

And yes, God did tell us "the Meek shall inherit the Earth" in the Beatitudes, Matthew 5:3-10. I should start "Being" those attitudes; I think the Alfred's of the world would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment