Thursday, May 19, 2011

When Did He Start Shutting His Bedroom Door?

I can't seem to pinpoint the exact date, maybe it's been a month or more, but I'm sure it's only been in the last week. My son has begun shutting his bedroom when he goes in for the evening to "do stuff".

Stuff, is categorized as watching tv, reading a book, doing homework or just hanging out. But all that used to happen with the door open; it wasn't until two nights ago when he was cleaning his room, I noticed the door was shut. I guess it's part of growing up, he's starting to mark his own private space, a place to call "his".

I remember when I was very young, the thought of closing my door scared me. I'd be in the room by myself and what if a monster came out of my closet; no one would know, because my door was shut. I can't remember when I started closing my door, just that one day it was absurd to think my door would EVER be open, at least not while I was in it. It just happened, I guess I started growing up, marking my private space too.

It's happening at our house and I have to respect it, like my parents respected mine. I look back now, and I'm sure my Mom was heartbroken; my Dad saddened by my need for privacy, I was growing up.

I'm feeling those same emotions now.

I understand his need to be independent, to have alone time, to mature, to be a ruler of his own domain, to grow up... but don't grow away. And if you do, I'll leave MY door open, in case you need to come in!

1 comment:

  1. I am with you. I am so proud of my young man and sad at the same time. He calls his bedroom his man cave. I also had a conversation this morning with my 22 year old. She assured me she loves me very much and loves being home, but wants to go to summer school to be near friends. It makes me pick up the phone more and call my mom to assure her I love her and love being home, but need to work and be with my family. :)

    ReplyDelete